Our Wellness PolicyWellnessPolicy.pdf
Why a Wellness Policy?Childhood Obesity
& Diet Related Illness
- Our School Nutrition Program complies with federal, state and local requirements.
- Our School Nutrition Program is accessible to all children.
- We provide and promote nutrition education.
- We encourage meaningful physical fitness activities for all children.
- All school-based activities are consistent with local wellness policy goals.
- Recommend that all foods and beverages made available on campus (including vending, concessions, a la carte, student stores, parties, and fundraising) during the school day are consistent with the current Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
- Insure that all foods made available on campus adhere to food safety and security guidelines.
- Provide a school environment that is safe, comfortable, pleasing, and allows ample time and space for eating meals.
- Insure that food and/or physical activity is not used as a reward or punishment.
- School Nutrition Association
- USDA Food & Nutrition Services
- Centers for Disease Control
- National School Boards Association
- National PTA
- Action for Healthy Kids
- American Dietetic Association
- Food Research and Action Center
- Elementary/Secondary School Principals
- National Association of School Nurses
- USDA Cooperative Extension
- National Dairy Council
- Society for Nutrition Education
- The National Association for Sport and Physical Education
- Council of Chief State School Officers
Balance is essential for any Wellness Policy. Key areas include:
- Nutrition Education
- Physical activity - check out Let's Move SCCS's starting point.
- Other school-based activities that are designed to promote student wellness.
TOOLKIT for a HEALTHY SCHOOL ENVIRONMENT
Are you looking for a non-food fund raising idea or a healthy alternative for you students next class party? Check out our Toolkit on how we calculate our healthy snacks and the regulations that we must follow. Use the included resources and list of healthy snack ideas.
WELLNESS COMMITTEE MEETING SCHEDULE FOR 2021-2022
Held quarterly from 4:00pm - 5:00pm at Santa Cruz City Schools District Office
9/21, 11/16, 1/18 and 3/23 presentation to SCCS School Board