Welcome to Surf City Cafe!!
WELCOME TO THE START OF 2016-17 SCHOOL YEAR!
Surf City Cafe is made up of a team of food and nutrition professionals that are dedicated to your students' health, well being and their ability to learn. We support learning by promoting healthy habits for lifelong nutrition and fitness practices
Please take some time to wander the pages of our website and see the great things we have to offer.
Please join us in celebrating California Food for California Kids. On Thursdays district wide our students are served healthy, freshly prepared meals made with California sourced ingredients. Please check out our what's new section below or visit californiathursdays.org
Surf City Cafe strives to provide healthy, tasty and appealing meals using local ingredients whenever possible and to give fun and friendly, informed customer service and nutritional education to all our students in a positive, equitable and safe environment.
Meals, foods and beverages sold or served at schools meet state and federal requirements which are based on the USDA Dietary Guidelines. We provide students with access to a variety of affordable and appealing foods that meet the health and nutrition needs of students.
We also provide nutritional support for each school to assure maximum student achievement, adhering to the nutritional standards set by the USDA in the National School Lunch Program. Surf City Cafe staff assigned to individual schools ensure that breakfast, brunch, lunch, supper and after school snack programs throughout the district meet the needs of students and staff. Our office is located on the Harbor High School campus.
What We Stand For
- We are committed to not only meeting but exceeding the standards of California Wellness policy and the Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
- We prepare foods with no Trans Fats or High Fructose Corn Syrup and seek to minimize Saturated Fats, Sugar, Sodium and Fatty Foods.
- We do not use any fried foods.
- We search for foods with the least amount of additives, sweeteners, salts, sugars, colors and preservatives.
- We buy as much locally grown produce as possible, shopping within the seasons to provide quality and value as well as a wide variety of foods.
- We pride ourselves on nutrition education.
- We are partnering with Life Lab, Food What? and Community Alliance Family Farms (CAFF) as well as our own staff to continue to teach students and parents alike about the importance and value of choosing local, fresh seasonal foods and eating a variety of fruits and vegetables. Through our partnership with ALBA Organics we are able to buy Farm to Dining Hall direct fruits and vegetables year round, often with same day delivery.
- We are committed to minimizing our environmental impact by using local vendors and farmers and thus promoting the local economy and socially just business practices.
- We use only natural, Green biodegradable cleaning products and recyclable or biodegradable products wherever possible.
- We are committed to all of this while providing value in the choices we offer, and we are mindful of waste and efficiency so as to meet or exceed to our fiscal responsibilities.